what are authors even trying to do?
Rather than saying “bad movie lol”, Big Joel deconstructs The Room and asks the difficult question: what are authors even trying to do?
This is a fundamental question that your high-school teachers failed to teach you. While they quizzed you on Symbolism™ and Metaphor™ and Foreshadowing™, they fumbled the underlying lesson: people sometimes make stuff for reasons.
- Can they understand the cat in Stewart Little?
- Dig for authorial intent in Grown Ups 2.
- Overanalyze Avatar: The Last Airbender.
- Why did we watch a 2-hour documentary about a video game we’ve never heard of?
- Listen for leitmotif in Lord of the Rings.
- Become a film conspiracy theorist.
- Engage in terrible writing.
- Study idiot plots.
- Is 300 facist?
- Meet the Robinsons was underrated.
- Look for inivisible choices in video games.
- Avoid holes that were made for you.
- Skin Theory in Spongebob Squarepants.
- Understand the temporal pincer maneuver.
- Soulja Boy provides his thoughts on Braid.
- Experience visual comedy.
- Find ludditism and neophilia in Jurassic Park.